Building on regionally-led efforts that have been in work since 2010, there is a federally chartered working group created by the FAST Act of 2015 actively determining how to restore passenger rail service across America’s southern coast – the Gulf Coast Working Group (GCWG). On September 2, the Group sent an update to Sen. Roger Wicker (R-MS) and Congress detailing the GCWG’s progress. A second letter, dated December 14, 2016, serves as an additional update to describe progress made since September and to identify next steps to complete the Report.
1. Finalize List of Infrastructure Needs to Restore Service in Phases
2. Agree to Order-of-Magnitude Capital Cost Estimates
3. Identify Potential Sources for Federal, State, and Local Funding
4. Assess Economic Benefits of Restoring Intercity Service for the Preferred Option
5. Finalize Report and Submit to Congress for Consideration